Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Power


In the text of chapter 5 they talk about how language is powerful. I would have to agree with this because language is very important our society. They mention that speech is cultural. I never thought of it in this way, but it’s completely true. I thought it was interesting when I read that in Japan, it’s not a good thing to speak powerful. In our country it’s completely opposite. We value people that speak powerful. One thing I look at when I am speaking with someone is how powerful the person speaks. This is a big deal when choosing a president. The reason why people like Obama is how powerful his speeches are. I think that the power of language is how you phrase and say things. The choice of words you use makes a huge difference. When I am talking to someone I try to use direct words with them. When people say um, uh, or ah while talking it makes them sound unsure of what they want. Its good to sound firm and confident. I feel that you will have a less percentage of rejection. If you look at the powerful people in history they all share this same quality.

No comments: