Friday, November 7, 2008

Selective Hearing

In chapter 7 listening, the text discussed the negative characteristics of listening. My whole life I have been told that I have selective listening. This would have to be my weakness of listening. Sometimes it’s hard for me to concentrate on someone talking to me when other things are going on. When there are background noises like a tv, radio, or people talking I always seem to get sidetracked and don’t give them my full attention. This effects my communication with people and I feel like sometimes it’s out of my control. This make to a friend is me look bad as a listener because I know when someone does this to me I get annoyed and feel that it is rude. When I am on my cell phone talking to a friend is when I see this happening to this happening the most. Since I am busy all the time I usually get calls when in the middle of something. I feel bad because I care about my friends and I want to be able to be a good listener for them. I need to be able to set aside what I am doing so I don’t have selective hearing. Turning of distractions will help and even going into another room where it is quite will help out also.

No comments: