Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mixed messages

In chapter 6 Nonverbal communication, I thought that it was interesting to see nonverbal communication serve many functions. Contradicting and deceiving fall under these categories. When people are expressing messages verbally and nonverbally, the two can be opposite and contradict each other. This happens when there are mixed messages which everyone will face this. When we get older we display these messages more often. Sometimes I can tell when someone needs help with something because they display non verbal messages of struggle and pain, I try to help. Once I try doing this they say “oh I can do this myself”, or “i don’t need help”, when obviously they are displaying that they are struggling. This gives me a mixed signal and it frustrates me because I don’t know what they want. When people give off deceiving messages they are called leakage. I find this very interesting because it can be very inconsistent. I thought it was interesting to see that experiments found that a liars voice tends to be higher than a truth tellers because there is less thinking involved in truth tellers. One thing I have found from personal experience with my friends is they won’t make eye contact when they are lying. Also when they fidget or so a lot of pauses I can tell they are lying.

No comments: