Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Opinions/facts when communicating


In chapter five language barrier and bridge, I thought disruptive language was a very interesting topic. I believe that fact –opinion confusion- happens all the time whether we mean to or now. When people state facts in conversations then it can be verifies as true or false. When opinions happen in conversation they tend to be unnecessary arguments. Like myself I am a very opinionated person and I can get myself into unnecessary arguments with people. I feel like my opinion matters and I try to take control of the conversation. I need to learn to find the facts before stating my opinion. It’s not a bad thing to have an opinion about something, but having facts will help back up my opinion. When you are communicating with someone, one things that I realized was using the word I. When I am stating my opinion, using I before my opinion helps take responsibility for my thoughts and opinions. The problem I was having before was using the word it when stating my own opinions. This is a problem because it doesn’t show ownership when communicating. For example when I say it was nice hanging out with you tonight doesn’t show ownership. On the other hand when I say I enjoyed the time we spent together sounds more personable.

No comments: