Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nonverbal Messages


In chapter 6 it mainly focuses on nonverbal communication. One thing I want to focus on is the different types of nonverbal communication. Things like gestures, body movement, posture, face and eyes are elements of nonverbal communication. When I am speaking with someone and they’re reacting with these types of nonverbal messages, I generally make my own assumption on what they mean. This can be very deceiving because they might not mean to make a certain facial expression. Also people perceive them differently. For example, if I was talking to them and facial expression was smiling. They could perceive that I am laughing at them or not taking the conversation seriously, when really I am just agreeing with them with smiling. Sometimes when people aren’t making eye contact with me I start feeling flustered. This can affect my communication with that person because it’s very distracting. One thing I think I can do is to be aware of these nonverbal messages. Also one thing I think would help is talking to the people that know me the best like my family and friends and ask them which type of nonverbal messages to I portray. This will be a good way to change because there things I am not aware of. I believe that everyone should do this because there is always room for improvement.

No comments: